|About Familie-archief Ten Koppel
The story begins at "Het Koppel", a piece of common pasture normally owned by the Church.
Farmers who do not own land, could find there employability and housing. Het Koppel was in the
current Avest at the Spilmansdijk, a neighborliness between Eibergen and Beltrum. The
inhabitants were often called "Koppelman", a name that still by many family is supported. In
1584 Het Koppel was already mentioned in a list of lease Board of Münster. In 1650 again, but
the data from that period are scarce. A big quest has to be done.
At the end of the 17th century (1666) and in the early 18th century, around 1720, the the first
"Koppels" recorded by the church. "Te Koppele" is the name to be written. But the Koppels who
do not have enough heritage (the heritage was not of a rubber band) must find a place somewhere
Avest 13 in 1813 was 1/4 part of Gerrit Koppelman (1756), and was called "Groeskamp" and leased
to the family Groeskamp. The rest was from the church of Reverend Abbink. There attended the
Koppels and it was called "Het Koppel". Son Berend Willem (1781) and wife and Aaltjen Geesink
took over the heritage. Het Koppel fell under region Nahuis that was owned by the Church.
The adjacent Menkhorst heritage is also closely involved with our family history. Sons went
there as a servant, married there and daughters could also go there for work.
This lasted until 1883. The family sold Groeskamp and bought a stone's throw from there
heritage Tietink from a German lord. There, on the Molenweg at Eibergen, expanded the family Te
Many Koppels are not found because the names were not consistently supported. For example, they
went to live in Vragender at Abbink heritage (especially servants were often living by those in
charge), as Jan te Koppele (ca 1725) and his wife Berendina Dieperink, then the name Abbink
soon was made. He went on to book as "Jan Coppelmans op Abbink" and "Bene Klein Abbink". This
branch called Abbink may have lived since the early 17th century on Abbink. In 1940 the last
Koppel of that heritage dies.
They also went to the city, Groenlo. Probably in 1748 when Jan te Koppele (1723) in Avest
married Teunisken Laarberg and could find no place on Het Koppel. They called themselves the
Some family members bought a different heritage or that inherited from parents. Heritage
Droebert may be an example and also Abbink just mentioned.
But the Koppels who own a piece of land could often get their names retained. However, it
remained heritage and keep the original name was named after its previous owner. Heritage
Droebert at Eefsel
is an example. In 1830 is owned by the brother of Berend Willem te Koppele (1781) from Avest,
Garrit Jan te Koppele (1784) and his wife Jenneken Voshaar. They get daughters and the family
Grootsevert, where Janna (1820) married with, inherited the estate. A sister of Jenneken, Anna
Maria, is married to a Tietink. Gerrit, brother of Garrit Jan had at that time Groeskamp
property (see few paragraphs above).
The first half of the 19th century was not easy. The Achterhoek was mentioned by several
economic and natural disasters plagued. Many people migrated abroad, particularly to the U.S.,
including some of our family members.
Like the Koppels from Abbink and Droebert in the first half of the 17th century, one of the
Koppelman members went from Avest to Lievelde (Lichtenvoorde) and became the owner of Het
Meeken or Meekes. There started the familiy Ten Koppel, also ancestors of the Tenkoppel family
in Canada and the Tekoppel family in the USA.
Although there is no connection on paper between the preceding family branches, still there is
evidence that in the family Ten Koppel in Lichtenvoorde two generations passed away on
Droebert, between Het Meeken and Avest, a heritage that is also owned by the Te Koppele family